Skip to main content

Daily activity challenge: 3 lessons I learned last week

So last week one of our trainers set a daily activity challenge to boost our activity outside of the training sessions

This led to me going for walks at lunch time and generally trying to get up and away from my desk throughout the day at work. You can find out more in a wee video I recorded:



I kept everything else that I have been doing the same. Same macros, same amount of training (3x1 hour sessions of strength & conditioning). 

I had felt like my progress had slowed over the last 2-3 weeks. So I was more than chuffed when I took my measurements this morning.

Total inch loss = 4.5 inches

Weight loss = 2lbs


So what did I learn last week?!

1. If things aren't progressing go back to basics

Ask myself if I am getting all of the basics right.
  • Am I hitting my macros?
  • Am I eating a good variety of fruit and veg?
  • Am I applying myself and putting effort in at training?
  • Am I moving around enough throughout the day?
  • Am I being consistent?
In my case the daily movement was the issue. it's easy to underestimate the amount of activity you are getting in which is why a fitness tracker is a great piece of kit to have. 


2. Don't mess with your macros if you don't need to

My first reaction to lack of progress was thinking that I needed to start making changes to my macros.

I've actually been on the same macros since April this year. I aim to eat around 1900 kcals a day, 135-150g of protein, and 20-25g of fibre. Since April I have lost I love the flexibility this gives me with my food. It's working for me. So unless I can honestly say that I am getting all of the basics right consistently over a period of a few weeks with no progress then there is no need to start messing around with the numbers.

3. Going to extremes is not necessary.

All that was needed was a reminder of the amount of effort needed to make sure I was getting in enough activity day-to-day. Going for an extreme wasn't needed. 

In the past my reaction would have been to eat cabbage soup for a week and exercise every day to give myself a boost and get things moving. Which usually led to me being a bit miserable and then having a total blowout, which is totally counter productive!

All I had to do was keep my nutrition on an even keel, go to training, and try and hit at least 10K steps each day. Easy!


What's next ....

The plan now is to do the same again this week, with the aim of increasing my average steps by 15% compared to last week which means around .



Comments

Debra Hicks said…
Well said Sara. No need for yoyo dieting, consistency, healthy eating and daily activity are the key elements - evident from your blog 👍🏼
Way to go x

Popular posts from this blog

Fight Camp Week 4 - Done!

This week was a short one for me.  I missed Monday and Tuesday's sessions because I was away for a long weekend, so only got to Thursday and Friday's sessions.  Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to do exercise when I was away, the weather was a bit nuts so I was restricted to indoors and the hotel rooms were too small or the floors way to creaky for me to do any jumping around.  Instead, we walked miles and miles and miles.  My calves were killing me by the time we got back and are still feeling a bit tight. My ' official photographer '/motivational coach/trainer/friend, Sheena,  was back on top form today, and assisted me in getting the photographs for me to  put together my little montage!   However, what was meant to be me standing posing to get a few pics done turned into Mistress Walker cracking the whip and had me doing a mini workout, I had only finished this mornings session a few minutes prior.  God forbid she ever gets into Personal Train

Fight Camp is Done :-( ..... the results are in :-)

So I had my final Fight Camp session yesterday morning.... boooo :(  6 weeks of early 5am rises, 24 hours worth of crazy training sessions, 10 million buckets of sweat, 20 bags of spinach, i've lost count of the amount of chickens, and a vat of  protein shakes later and I feel fit and fabulous! Every session was relentless and the setup continually evolved.  Even in the last session, the trainers were chucking new combinations and exercises at us (which included some jump kicks and jump knees which were much fun), continually pushing us until the very end.  The finisher was an absolute killer which involved a pack of cards (a very dodgy pack of cards which seemed to have way too many 10s in it) and a torturous amount of burpees, squat jumps and ab exercises.  My ab's are flinching just thinking about it! I've got mixed feelings with regard to the end of the camp.  I'm sad it is over.  As much as I was starting to struggle with the early mornings (one

Fight Camp, Week 2 - Done!

Woo Hoo!! that's another week ticked off and it has been a sweaty one! Very, very sweaty (";) Intensity was amped up a gain each day this week. Monday was a bit of a rude awakening after having the weekend off, I think my body goes into s ome kind of defense mode and forgets just how grue lling the last workout was and shrouds the memories in a nice rosey glow. Monday morning I whacked my legs off a bench and now have a nice big lump and bruise on my left shin. I fell on my ass on Thursday morning during some jumping! Not painful thankfully, was straight back up again and into the exercise, although I did stumble a little again straight after. (I've come to the conclusion that I am a wee bit clumsy. I think Leona had me in mind when she belted out "I keep bleeding, I keep, keep, bleeding...") My butt cheeks, thighs and arms are killin' me from the torturous pushup holds and squat holds from this mornings session, ouchy!! I struggled a bit with the die