Skip to main content

Training is the easy part!

Training only requires me to make a couple of simple choices, showing up is the first. How much effort and how hard I am going to work is the second. It is three to four hours out of my whole week. 4 hours out of 168 hours.


It is, in fact, the choices I make outside of training that will have the ultimate impact on the progress I want to make and the results I want to see.


  • Am I going to choose to watch more tv and relax on the sofa this evening? Or am I going to choose to get up off my ass and go for a walk/do some housework/cut the grass?
  • Am I going to choose to have that packet of crisps that is going to push me over my calorie goal today? Or am I going to skip the crisps today and work it into my allowance tomorrow or the day after?
  • Am I going to go for the family size bag of crisps and to hell with the calorie deficit for the next five days? Or am I going to go for the regular 25g packet and just have a little indulgence?
  • Am I going to reduce how much I am going to eat over the next few days so that I can indulge when I go out for dinner later this week? Or am I going to say “Sod it, I'm going to have what I want over the next few days and make up for it next week”?
  • Am I going to have one tablespoon of peanut butter? Or am I going to have two tablespoons, pretend it looks like one, and track it as one to kid myself on that all those extras don't add up or count?



That’s all fine in hindsight, but where's that hindsight when you bloody well need it? Yup, us humans have a canny knack for not over-thinking these choices and decisions. It is a bit like g-eeing yourself up to jump into a pool of cold water, you know it will be shockingly cold for a moment but you tell yourself not to overthink it … just do it.

It is the same when I am faced with the snack cupboard, it's like a switch, my brain tries to numb out thinking of the consequences, don't overthink it...just do it. Which I know is fine in moderation every now and then. Having the occasional indulgence is not what got me where I am. The issue is when it becomes a habit to just reach for that packet of crisps to satisfy a sudden notion or add that extra spoonful of peanut butter without even thinking about it!

Because it all comes down to choices doesn't it? I’m accountable for what, where, how and when I choose to do something.

This isn’t about berating myself for a history of making poor choices. It's also not about placing frustrating or unrealistic restrictions on myself.

What it is about, is being in the moment and recognising those mind-less choices for what they are.

It’s about balance, making the right choices most of the time, and being able to enjoy the odd indulgence, and I mean really enjoy, without feeling guilty.

More importantly for me, it's about making choices that will work alongside my training so that I maximise my efforts both inside and outside of the gym and continue to progress and keep seeing results.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fight Camp Week 4 - Done!

This week was a short one for me.  I missed Monday and Tuesday's sessions because I was away for a long weekend, so only got to Thursday and Friday's sessions.  Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to do exercise when I was away, the weather was a bit nuts so I was restricted to indoors and the hotel rooms were too small or the floors way to creaky for me to do any jumping around.  Instead, we walked miles and miles and miles.  My calves were killing me by the time we got back and are still feeling a bit tight. My ' official photographer '/motivational coach/trainer/friend, Sheena,  was back on top form today, and assisted me in getting the photographs for me to  put together my little montage!   However, what was meant to be me standing posing to get a few pics done turned into Mistress Walker cracking the whip and had me doing a mini workout, I had only finished this mornings session a few minutes prior.  God forbid she ever gets into Personal Train

Fight Camp, Week 2 - Done!

Woo Hoo!! that's another week ticked off and it has been a sweaty one! Very, very sweaty (";) Intensity was amped up a gain each day this week. Monday was a bit of a rude awakening after having the weekend off, I think my body goes into s ome kind of defense mode and forgets just how grue lling the last workout was and shrouds the memories in a nice rosey glow. Monday morning I whacked my legs off a bench and now have a nice big lump and bruise on my left shin. I fell on my ass on Thursday morning during some jumping! Not painful thankfully, was straight back up again and into the exercise, although I did stumble a little again straight after. (I've come to the conclusion that I am a wee bit clumsy. I think Leona had me in mind when she belted out "I keep bleeding, I keep, keep, bleeding...") My butt cheeks, thighs and arms are killin' me from the torturous pushup holds and squat holds from this mornings session, ouchy!! I struggled a bit with the die

Fight Camp is Done :-( ..... the results are in :-)

So I had my final Fight Camp session yesterday morning.... boooo :(  6 weeks of early 5am rises, 24 hours worth of crazy training sessions, 10 million buckets of sweat, 20 bags of spinach, i've lost count of the amount of chickens, and a vat of  protein shakes later and I feel fit and fabulous! Every session was relentless and the setup continually evolved.  Even in the last session, the trainers were chucking new combinations and exercises at us (which included some jump kicks and jump knees which were much fun), continually pushing us until the very end.  The finisher was an absolute killer which involved a pack of cards (a very dodgy pack of cards which seemed to have way too many 10s in it) and a torturous amount of burpees, squat jumps and ab exercises.  My ab's are flinching just thinking about it! I've got mixed feelings with regard to the end of the camp.  I'm sad it is over.  As much as I was starting to struggle with the early mornings (one