Skip to main content

Buzzed.... what a feeling!!

This week I have been on a bit of a high.  I've been walking around work with a perma-smile, which seems to have prompted some strange looks and questions from colleagues. Someone asked me the other day what I was smiling about, and I didn't actually know why.  I just felt good. Nothing out of the ordinary has happened to prompt such a good mood, just the same old really.  The only thing I can put it down to is exercise.


So, as my mind often does once it has an idea, I felt the need to go and garner some knowledge on the topic and do some reading on the effect exercise has on the brain.  It made some very interesting reading (interesting to me at least! If you are bored easily you may want to switch off .... now!)


Memory
Did you know that exercise can actually help improve your memory?  Apparently, it triggers the creation of new neurons in the hippocampus (get me with my big words!), which is the brains centre for learning and memory.  Not only does it generate new neurons, but it also repairs.  Most of us humans start to loose nerve tissue by the age of 30, but exercise plays a big part in triggering chemical reactions that encourage the creation and repair of the nerve tissue which helps our brain in processing and storing information.  I am pretty sure you can't exercise with the aim of becoming a genius, but every little helps right?


Mood
Exercise makes you happy!  There has been lots of research and studies carried out on the effect exercise can have in treating depression.  Depression is related to low levels of neurotransmitters like Serotonin and Norepinephrine (try saying that after a few gins!)  When you exercise, neurotransmitters increase in concentration and when released into the blood stream they enhance your mood.


Endorphins
Okay, this is the part that fascinated me.  I've heard of endorphins before but never really understood what they are.


Endorphins are little molecules which our pituitary glands release in response to stress and/or pain.  They enter the neurons that carry pain impulses to the brain and attach themselves to receptors.  These receptors are the same ones that drugs like morphine and heroin attach themselves to.   The endorphins work against the pain carrying neurons and induce an analgesic state, blocking the pain from getting to the brain and actually inducing a feeling of euphoria.


When I read this my reaction was "but I still feel pain when I exercise".  The endorphins are not released until around 30 minutes after starting a physical activity - 'No Pain, No Gain'.  The discomfort of exercise is more immediately felt than its benefits, which perhaps explains why so many people give up on it so easily.  People do get addicted to that 'feel good feeling' when they exercise and the more you exercise, the more you need to push it to get the same euphoric effect.


As if the euphoria is not enough, Endorphins also stimulate the immune system and can help in postponing the ageing process, keeping you young and beautiful.  Who needs botox when a wee bit of exercise does the trick?!


When you put all those wonderful little chemical reactions that are exploding left right and centre while you exercise together with the feeling of accomplishment you get after a hard session, that little slice of escapism from your day, and the opportunity to de-stress, it's easy to see where the term 'Healthy Body, Healthy Mind' comes from and it may actually ring true.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 Months in - What real progress looks and feels like!

So I check in with my nutrition coach Simon every week. I weigh and measure myself, take outputs from my fitness pal to send onto him, and let him know what is and isn't going well. He keeps a eye on how my nutrition is moving along and will advise on any adjustments he thinks I need to make, as well as answer any of my questions. As the weeks are moving along I can see that this routine is as much for my benefit as it is his. It gives me a window to ponder, recognise and record my progress.

On average I lose around a pound to a pound and a half a week. Some folks might think that's not much, however, that pound and a half signifies so much more than just the weight on the scale. Anyone who has done a diet or slimming club where a weekly weigh in is involved will know that they generally measure your progress on the scale alone. In my experience I would lose a few pounds one week, zero the next, put on, lose a few... you get the idea. No consistency, up and down like a yo-yo..…

My 5 tips to breaking the 'treat' cycle!

Hands up if this sounds familiar....

"I've worked really hard, I deserve a wee treat. Mmmm there's crisps in the cupboard, or ice cream in the freezer. Oh I've been really good I could have a wee bit of both."

Escalates to ...

"I've had a really hard day, can't be bothered cooking, i'll just treat myself to a wee takeaway!"

Escalates to ...

"Life is shit I need a treat. This 1kg jar of Nutella followed by the family size share bag of crisps should do the trick, and if I don't feel better after that there is the slab of chocolate in the cupboard!"

It is a slippery slope. I know, I've been there, sat on the sofa surrounded by the crumbs of evidence!

One treat can quickly lead to the downfall of not just one week but all of my efforts. For me, what I eat is the biggest mental battle when it comes to trying to lose weight or break years of bad habits. The temptation to slip back to your old ways is easy.  In the past I did it beca…

My X-Rated Baked Eggs

What makes them x-rated? I hear you say!
Well, one, they look downright sexy. And two, the noises you make when you eat it will be x-rated ;)
Surfing around on Pinterest looking for some new breakfast recipes to try I came across a few variations of baked eggs. Some are called Turkish eggs, others use Moroccan spice mixes to add extra depth of flavour. The dish is really versatile so you can adapt the flavours to suit what you fancy. I made mine a spicy breakfast version which you could easily make for dinner as well. Rich and moreish it is packed full of protein, low on calories, filling, and super tasty. It's a winner all round.
This is my recipe for 2 portions. Bear in mind that you can chop and change ingredients for what you have available: 3 muscle food chicken chilli sausages Handful frozen onionHandful frozen peppersHalf can haricot beansCarton of passataHalf tsp frozen chopped garlicTsp paprikaTsp Sriracha (use chilli or chilli flakes if you don't have Tsp olive oil4 eggs