Skip to main content

Failure is not an option

I love positive,motivational quotes.  If I hear something that inspires me it becomes a mantra.  A friend shared a quote/question with me the other day and it is this:
'What would you do tomorrow if you knew you could not fail?'
Source: Unknown

Over the last week I have been taking stock of achievements and contemplating future goals and this quote got me thinking.  Is it the fear of failure that stops most people from setting and achieving goals?

So often I hear people say “What’s the point? I’m not going to get it”, "I can't do it!", "I'm not being negative, I'm just being realistic", "If I think the worst then anything better will be a bonus".  


It is such a negative attitude to have.  If you think you are going to fail before you even start then that fear becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.  Whether it’s a job you are applying for, a new experience you fancy trying, a major life change, anything; if you start off by thinking you are going to fail then more than likely, you will.
"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right"
Henry Ford

So maybe you should be asking yourself:

What would you do tomorrow if you knew you could not fail?

What is standing in your way or stopping you from going for it just now?

Is it fear of failure or is it fear of the hard work ahead?

Having a positive frame of mind can be one of the hardest things to achieve and maintain.  It can sometimes seem like life keeps chucking crap in the way that is preventing you from getting where you want to be.  I'm not saying that you should be walking around with a perma-grin, your head in the clouds and telling everyone life is rosy. But by remaining positive and visualising your goals, you are more likely to succeed.  

If there is something that is standing in your way then you have identified your first goal, removing that obstacle.  Now, if your obstacle is that you haven't won the lottery yet, then keep dreaming!  Being positive doesn't mean you have a skewed view on reality.

Hard work is to be expected when working toward achieving goals and it’s the hard work that makes the achievement more rewarding.  If you are prepared for the hard slog mentally, then it is more likely that you will be successful in whatever you put your mind to.

I'm not saying that just by thinking positive all your dreams will manifest themselves and come true.  Having a positive attitude goes hand-in-hand with taking action.  Nothing is going to happen if you remain static. 


Thinking positive also doesn't mean that there won't be bumps on the road.  You may face setbacks and feel dejected at times, but by thinking positively you are more likely to look for solutions than let set-backs consume and stop you.

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems.  But it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort!" 
Herm Albright



A good friend sent me the below text message fairly early on when I started making the big changes to my diet and fitness regime. I kept it and wrote in the front of my exercise and food diary I was keeping at the time and read it whenever I felt a bit de-motivated.  It really helps to keep me going and stay positive when times get tough and wanted to share it.

"Sometimes in life we meet a beautiful, strong person who encourages us through their strength and courage and they believe you are the one motivating them.  We help each other.
When you recognise an area in your life that you want to change you have already made the biggest step toward making that change.
We set goals and challenges we want to achieve and the person we want to become.  This is the first step you take towards achieving your dreams.
Recognise your inner strength and drive and you will succeed."
A really good friend :)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fight Camp, Week 2 - Done!

Woo Hoo!! that's another week ticked off and it has been a sweaty one! Very, very sweaty (";) Intensity was amped up a gain each day this week. Monday was a bit of a rude awakening after having the weekend off, I think my body goes into s ome kind of defense mode and forgets just how grue lling the last workout was and shrouds the memories in a nice rosey glow. Monday morning I whacked my legs off a bench and now have a nice big lump and bruise on my left shin. I fell on my ass on Thursday morning during some jumping! Not painful thankfully, was straight back up again and into the exercise, although I did stumble a little again straight after. (I've come to the conclusion that I am a wee bit clumsy. I think Leona had me in mind when she belted out "I keep bleeding, I keep, keep, bleeding...") My butt cheeks, thighs and arms are killin' me from the torturous pushup holds and squat holds from this mornings session, ouchy!! I struggled a bit with the die

Fight Camp Week 4 - Done!

This week was a short one for me.  I missed Monday and Tuesday's sessions because I was away for a long weekend, so only got to Thursday and Friday's sessions.  Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to do exercise when I was away, the weather was a bit nuts so I was restricted to indoors and the hotel rooms were too small or the floors way to creaky for me to do any jumping around.  Instead, we walked miles and miles and miles.  My calves were killing me by the time we got back and are still feeling a bit tight. My ' official photographer '/motivational coach/trainer/friend, Sheena,  was back on top form today, and assisted me in getting the photographs for me to  put together my little montage!   However, what was meant to be me standing posing to get a few pics done turned into Mistress Walker cracking the whip and had me doing a mini workout, I had only finished this mornings session a few minutes prior.  God forbid she ever gets into Personal Train

Fight Camp is Done :-( ..... the results are in :-)

So I had my final Fight Camp session yesterday morning.... boooo :(  6 weeks of early 5am rises, 24 hours worth of crazy training sessions, 10 million buckets of sweat, 20 bags of spinach, i've lost count of the amount of chickens, and a vat of  protein shakes later and I feel fit and fabulous! Every session was relentless and the setup continually evolved.  Even in the last session, the trainers were chucking new combinations and exercises at us (which included some jump kicks and jump knees which were much fun), continually pushing us until the very end.  The finisher was an absolute killer which involved a pack of cards (a very dodgy pack of cards which seemed to have way too many 10s in it) and a torturous amount of burpees, squat jumps and ab exercises.  My ab's are flinching just thinking about it! I've got mixed feelings with regard to the end of the camp.  I'm sad it is over.  As much as I was starting to struggle with the early mornings (one