Skip to main content

Obsession

I'm not talking about the perfume, I'm talking about the obsession I have with my lifestyle of healthy eating and exercise. I'm not ashamed to admit that it has become an absolute obsession, and one of necessity.

If someone asks me then i'll quite happily talk about my exercise regime, what's for dinner, food shopping, cooking, magazine articles, anything until I notice them getting bored and I get the hint that i've went too far yet again! All of the changes I have made and live by these days have consumed me, and I can't see any way around it. If you are reading this and you know me, no doubt you have been subjected to my incessant chatter on the topic at some point. I'm not apologising, just want to say thanks for listening and putting up with me!

If you make a major change in your life, commit to it, set yourself a goal, find that you love it and it makes you feel great, how can you avoid becoming obsessed with it. If it becomes something that you feel passionate about and you want to share it with others so that they can feel the same as you, you can't help but talk about, read about it, think about it ... write about it!

For me, I had to become obsessed with the decision I made, I fully committed myself to trying to change my ways, and everything in my life now revolves around it. At times the obsession went to extremes, spreading myself thin between working, overtime, exercising, researching and studying, I rarely saw my husband which became a bone of contention at times. But I refused to waiver in my resolve to continue on my path. I know that may seem selfish, but for once in my life I had to be selfish and put myself and my health first.

I knew I couldn't put in a half arsed effort if I was going to succeed. It has taken over my life, but I am loving this new life.

It's not just about being focussed on what I'm eating and what exercise I'm doing. The feel good factor, the people, the positive environments, they are all contributing factors.

The people I have met and continue to meet on a daily basis have contributed to my burgeoning relationship with health and fitness. I have made some great friends and met some amazing and inspirational people that have opened my eyes and helped me believe in myself.

I have been exposed to so many new experiences in recent months, things that I would never even have imagined myself contemplating never mind doing. Everything has been so positive and rewarding and I guess that's what fuels the obsession.

A couple of things have happened in the last week or two, just really small and simple things that just continue to inspire me to keep going. Like walking past a window and catching my reflection and having to do a double take because I almost didn't recognise myself, I actually liked what I saw. Or going into a clothes shop and seeing a dress, trying it on and realising that I actually need it in a smaller size (that warranted a few fist pumps and a little celebratory dance in the changing room!). Or my husband grabbing my ass and asking where its gone (too much info?!)

Some people talk about obsession like its a bad thing! Pooh-pooh to that...

Mine is an entirely healthy obsession!


Comments

Kevin Duffy said…
Realy inspiring stuff!! Obsession seems to be an understatement, there really is no need for me say this but keep it up :)

Popular posts from this blog

Fight Camp Week 4 - Done!

This week was a short one for me.  I missed Monday and Tuesday's sessions because I was away for a long weekend, so only got to Thursday and Friday's sessions.  Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to do exercise when I was away, the weather was a bit nuts so I was restricted to indoors and the hotel rooms were too small or the floors way to creaky for me to do any jumping around.  Instead, we walked miles and miles and miles.  My calves were killing me by the time we got back and are still feeling a bit tight. My ' official photographer '/motivational coach/trainer/friend, Sheena,  was back on top form today, and assisted me in getting the photographs for me to  put together my little montage!   However, what was meant to be me standing posing to get a few pics done turned into Mistress Walker cracking the whip and had me doing a mini workout, I had only finished this mornings session a few minutes prior.  God forbid she ever gets into Personal Train

Fight Camp, Week 2 - Done!

Woo Hoo!! that's another week ticked off and it has been a sweaty one! Very, very sweaty (";) Intensity was amped up a gain each day this week. Monday was a bit of a rude awakening after having the weekend off, I think my body goes into s ome kind of defense mode and forgets just how grue lling the last workout was and shrouds the memories in a nice rosey glow. Monday morning I whacked my legs off a bench and now have a nice big lump and bruise on my left shin. I fell on my ass on Thursday morning during some jumping! Not painful thankfully, was straight back up again and into the exercise, although I did stumble a little again straight after. (I've come to the conclusion that I am a wee bit clumsy. I think Leona had me in mind when she belted out "I keep bleeding, I keep, keep, bleeding...") My butt cheeks, thighs and arms are killin' me from the torturous pushup holds and squat holds from this mornings session, ouchy!! I struggled a bit with the die

Fight Camp is Done :-( ..... the results are in :-)

So I had my final Fight Camp session yesterday morning.... boooo :(  6 weeks of early 5am rises, 24 hours worth of crazy training sessions, 10 million buckets of sweat, 20 bags of spinach, i've lost count of the amount of chickens, and a vat of  protein shakes later and I feel fit and fabulous! Every session was relentless and the setup continually evolved.  Even in the last session, the trainers were chucking new combinations and exercises at us (which included some jump kicks and jump knees which were much fun), continually pushing us until the very end.  The finisher was an absolute killer which involved a pack of cards (a very dodgy pack of cards which seemed to have way too many 10s in it) and a torturous amount of burpees, squat jumps and ab exercises.  My ab's are flinching just thinking about it! I've got mixed feelings with regard to the end of the camp.  I'm sad it is over.  As much as I was starting to struggle with the early mornings (one