Skip to main content

Mrs Motivator

What is it that drives you to keep going?

How do you do it?



Again, these are questions that people have been asking me.

Believe me, there's been more than a few occasions when I have felt like jacking in my efforts to get fit and lose weight. There are days when I can't be bothered and quite frankly, I cannot face going to the gym or to a class. Days when I don't want to get out of bed half an hour early so that I can get a quick workout in before I go to work. There are nights when I don't want to have to think about what I'm going to be eating the next day. Days when I've got PMS or work is getting to me and all I want to do is go home and bury my face in a big dirty bowl of pasta. But I make myself do what I need to. I have found that if I didn't shift my lazy butt and get on with it, I regretted it afterwards, not a good feeling!

I usually have a quick word with myself or a little pep talk, reminding me how good I will feel once I actually get through whatever I need to and that if I don't get up and do it, the scales won't be shifting the next time I stand on them. At the end of the day, the onus is on me, no one else is going to do the hard work for me.


The encouragement from my friends and family has been a great driving force for me to keep going. When enough people tell you that you are looking great or that they can see a real difference in you, you eventually start to believe it. I've never been very good at accepting compliments, probably because I never really believed them before. Nowadays, when someone tells me how good I am looking I say thanks with a big smile on my face because I feel great.

I think proving to myself that I can do this has been my biggest motivation. In the past I would get so far, but once the weight loss would slow down or stop, I would give in and go back to my old habits. This time there is a real difference. In seeing the results I am getting it has spurred me on to keep going. I was fed up with failing and reverting to my old ways, I had to prove to myself that I could do it for once. I feel so good these days that I can't imagine ever going back to the way things were. And because I know that I can and am doing it, it gives me so much more self-belief, not only in reaching my weight loss and fitness goals, but in other aspects of my life.

I think if you have a lot of weight to shift it is easy to get caught up in the mammoth mountain ahead of you. Instead split your big amount into small chunks, it makes it seem more managable and achievable in your head. I remember going to Weight Watchers and Scottish Slimmers for the first time and standing on the scales and the class manager saying I was 4 stones away from my ideal weight, that makes it seem a daunting and inobtainable goal, I remeber thinking I may as well give up before I even start, i'll never be able to do that.

I've learned that there's a benefit in breaking it up. I always aim to shift 1/2 a stone each month. When you think about it, 1/2 a stone is nothing, 7lbs over four or 5 weeks is only 1-2 lbs per week which is more than achievable. In achieving the small goals it all adds up and before you know it, a few months down the road, you are totting up stones.

Set realistic and achievable goals!

Don't give up when the going gets tough!

Don't make excuses, get on with it!

Embrace the pain, you will learn to love it!

Believe in yourself!

& most importantly ...

STAY POSITIVE!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 Months in - What real progress looks and feels like!

So I check in with my nutrition coach Simon every week. I weigh and measure myself, take outputs from my fitness pal to send onto him, and let him know what is and isn't going well. He keeps a eye on how my nutrition is moving along and will advise on any adjustments he thinks I need to make, as well as answer any of my questions. As the weeks are moving along I can see that this routine is as much for my benefit as it is his. It gives me a window to ponder, recognise and record my progress.

On average I lose around a pound to a pound and a half a week. Some folks might think that's not much, however, that pound and a half signifies so much more than just the weight on the scale. Anyone who has done a diet or slimming club where a weekly weigh in is involved will know that they generally measure your progress on the scale alone. In my experience I would lose a few pounds one week, zero the next, put on, lose a few... you get the idea. No consistency, up and down like a yo-yo..…

My 5 tips to breaking the 'treat' cycle!

Hands up if this sounds familiar....

"I've worked really hard, I deserve a wee treat. Mmmm there's crisps in the cupboard, or ice cream in the freezer. Oh I've been really good I could have a wee bit of both."

Escalates to ...

"I've had a really hard day, can't be bothered cooking, i'll just treat myself to a wee takeaway!"

Escalates to ...

"Life is shit I need a treat. This 1kg jar of Nutella followed by the family size share bag of crisps should do the trick, and if I don't feel better after that there is the slab of chocolate in the cupboard!"

It is a slippery slope. I know, I've been there, sat on the sofa surrounded by the crumbs of evidence!

One treat can quickly lead to the downfall of not just one week but all of my efforts. For me, what I eat is the biggest mental battle when it comes to trying to lose weight or break years of bad habits. The temptation to slip back to your old ways is easy.  In the past I did it beca…

Balanced nutrition on a budget

I think there is a common misconception that good nutrition or a protein rich diet can be overly expensive. However, it is entirely possible to eat an abundance of food that is both nutritious and tasty and be spoiled for choice.

I used to assume that a high protein diet would be really costly and for a long time I ruled out even considering it as an option because of that.

I don't have a lot of spare cash at the end of the month so I was determined when I started doing this a few months ago that I make savings somewhere so I sat down and had a good look at:

what I was spending on my food bill each weekhow much was going to wastelooking for ways that I could minimise costs and waste.
I started out by doing a tour of the various supermarkets and comparing the cost and the quality of each shop over a period of four weeks. I even looked at local shops and butchers to see what was available. In an ideal world I would have the time to go to different outlets for different items to max…