Skip to main content

Mrs Motivator

What is it that drives you to keep going?

How do you do it?



Again, these are questions that people have been asking me.

Believe me, there's been more than a few occasions when I have felt like jacking in my efforts to get fit and lose weight. There are days when I can't be bothered and quite frankly, I cannot face going to the gym or to a class. Days when I don't want to get out of bed half an hour early so that I can get a quick workout in before I go to work. There are nights when I don't want to have to think about what I'm going to be eating the next day. Days when I've got PMS or work is getting to me and all I want to do is go home and bury my face in a big dirty bowl of pasta. But I make myself do what I need to. I have found that if I didn't shift my lazy butt and get on with it, I regretted it afterwards, not a good feeling!

I usually have a quick word with myself or a little pep talk, reminding me how good I will feel once I actually get through whatever I need to and that if I don't get up and do it, the scales won't be shifting the next time I stand on them. At the end of the day, the onus is on me, no one else is going to do the hard work for me.


The encouragement from my friends and family has been a great driving force for me to keep going. When enough people tell you that you are looking great or that they can see a real difference in you, you eventually start to believe it. I've never been very good at accepting compliments, probably because I never really believed them before. Nowadays, when someone tells me how good I am looking I say thanks with a big smile on my face because I feel great.

I think proving to myself that I can do this has been my biggest motivation. In the past I would get so far, but once the weight loss would slow down or stop, I would give in and go back to my old habits. This time there is a real difference. In seeing the results I am getting it has spurred me on to keep going. I was fed up with failing and reverting to my old ways, I had to prove to myself that I could do it for once. I feel so good these days that I can't imagine ever going back to the way things were. And because I know that I can and am doing it, it gives me so much more self-belief, not only in reaching my weight loss and fitness goals, but in other aspects of my life.

I think if you have a lot of weight to shift it is easy to get caught up in the mammoth mountain ahead of you. Instead split your big amount into small chunks, it makes it seem more managable and achievable in your head. I remember going to Weight Watchers and Scottish Slimmers for the first time and standing on the scales and the class manager saying I was 4 stones away from my ideal weight, that makes it seem a daunting and inobtainable goal, I remeber thinking I may as well give up before I even start, i'll never be able to do that.

I've learned that there's a benefit in breaking it up. I always aim to shift 1/2 a stone each month. When you think about it, 1/2 a stone is nothing, 7lbs over four or 5 weeks is only 1-2 lbs per week which is more than achievable. In achieving the small goals it all adds up and before you know it, a few months down the road, you are totting up stones.

Set realistic and achievable goals!

Don't give up when the going gets tough!

Don't make excuses, get on with it!

Embrace the pain, you will learn to love it!

Believe in yourself!

& most importantly ...

STAY POSITIVE!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fight Camp, Week 2 - Done!

Woo Hoo!! that's another week ticked off and it has been a sweaty one! Very, very sweaty (";) Intensity was amped up a gain each day this week. Monday was a bit of a rude awakening after having the weekend off, I think my body goes into s ome kind of defense mode and forgets just how grue lling the last workout was and shrouds the memories in a nice rosey glow. Monday morning I whacked my legs off a bench and now have a nice big lump and bruise on my left shin. I fell on my ass on Thursday morning during some jumping! Not painful thankfully, was straight back up again and into the exercise, although I did stumble a little again straight after. (I've come to the conclusion that I am a wee bit clumsy. I think Leona had me in mind when she belted out "I keep bleeding, I keep, keep, bleeding...") My butt cheeks, thighs and arms are killin' me from the torturous pushup holds and squat holds from this mornings session, ouchy!! I struggled a bit with the die...

Daily activity challenge: 3 lessons I learned last week

So last week one of our trainers set a daily activity challenge to boost our activity outside of the training sessions This led to me going for walks at lunch time and generally trying to get up and away from my desk throughout the day at work. You can find out more in a wee video I recorded: I kept everything else that I have been doing the same. Same macros, same amount of training (3x1 hour sessions of strength & conditioning).   I had felt like my progress had slowed over the last 2-3 weeks. So I was more than chuffed when I took my measurements this morning. Total inch loss = 4.5 inches Weight loss = 2lbs So what did I learn last week?! 1. If things aren't progressing go back to basics Ask myself if I am getting all of the basics right. Am I hitting my macros? Am I eating a good variety of fruit and veg? Am I applying myself and putting effort in at training? Am I moving around enough throughout the day? Am I being c...

Fight Camp is Done :-( ..... the results are in :-)

So I had my final Fight Camp session yesterday morning.... boooo :(  6 weeks of early 5am rises, 24 hours worth of crazy training sessions, 10 million buckets of sweat, 20 bags of spinach, i've lost count of the amount of chickens, and a vat of  protein shakes later and I feel fit and fabulous! Every session was relentless and the setup continually evolved.  Even in the last session, the trainers were chucking new combinations and exercises at us (which included some jump kicks and jump knees which were much fun), continually pushing us until the very end.  The finisher was an absolute killer which involved a pack of cards (a very dodgy pack of cards which seemed to have way too many 10s in it) and a torturous amount of burpees, squat jumps and ab exercises.  My ab's are flinching just thinking about it! I've got mixed feelings with regard to the end of the camp.  I'm sad it is over.  As much as I was starting to struggle with the ea...